From Evidence to Practice: The implementation of digital health interventions in Africa for achievement of Universal Health Coverage
20th – 22nd November, 2019, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana
Call for papers
The 2019 edition of the Pan-African health informatics conference (HELINA) is scheduled from 20th – 22nd November, 2019 at the University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana. The conference will be hosted by the University of Botswana (UB) e-Health Research Unit, Ministry of Health and Wellness (MoHW), Botswana Institute for Technology Research and Innovation (BITRI), the Botswana Health Information Management Association (BoHIMA), with support from Health First. The 2019 HELINA conference will focus on evidence to practice of digital health interventions to achieve universal health coverage (UHC). Digital health is an enabler for equitable health care access, from clinical care to public health. This conference provides a platform to showcase digital health interventions that have not only shown benefits, but are also sustainable.
The following topics have therefore been chosen as the main themes for the conference:
- The maturity model approach to implementation of digital health solutions
- Digital Health Learning Systems
- Quality and use of health data and systems
- Big Data Analytics in health care
- Health Information Systems Interoperability
- Continuous Quality Improvement of health data and systems
- Development of competent human capacity for digital health
- Sustainable ICT-solutions for health service delivery
- Artificial Intelligence and frontier technologies in digital health
But many other subjects can also be addressed in this conference, such as:
- Health facility management information systems
- Personal Health Records information systems
- Internet of Things and Wearables
- Point of care information management solutions
- Health informatics standards
- Health financing information management
- Health systems monitoring and evaluation
- Decision support systems (for low resource settings)
- Biomedical devices integration
- Medical imaging and radiology information systems
- Laboratory information systems
- Pharmacy management information systems
- Block Chain technology in health
- Geographical Information Systems
The organizers of HELINA 2019 welcome original presentations in the following categories: full research papers, work in progress papers, or case study/experience presentations.
Full research papers should be focused on reporting on mature research results. Papers should be between 5 and 8 pages in length and will be subject to a rigorous double blind peer-reviewed evaluation. Accepted full research papers will be published in a special edition of the Journal of Health Informatics in Africa (http://www.jhia-online.org).
Work in progress papers should be focused on reporting on preliminary research results. Papers should be between 5 and 8 pages in length and will be subject to a double blind peer-reviewed evaluation. Accepted work in progress papers will be published electronically in the conference proceedings with an ISBN number on the HELINA website.
Case studies and experience presentations should focus on presenting new ideas, report on digital health/e-Health interventions, implementations or lessons learned in order to provoke discussions amongst conference delegates. A 1 to 2 page abstract detailing the content that will be presented at the conference should be submitted. All abstracts will be subject to a double-blind peer review evaluation. Accepted abstracts will be published electronically in the conference proceedings with an ISBN number on the HELINA website.
Submissions in either of these three categories may be submitted in English or French and should not have been submitted to other conferences or journals. Submissions exceeding the maximum page length specified above will be rejected immediately without review. For an accepted submission to be published, at least one of the authors must register for the conference in order to present the accepted paper.
The HELINA online paper submission system on http://conf.helina-online.org/index.php/2019/index/ must be used. The three paper submission templates found on the website, provide detailed instructions for authors aligned with the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts to Biomedical Journals (http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/manuscript-preparation/preparing-for-submission.html). In case you encounter any difficulties in using the electronic submission system, please contact the HELINA 2019 technical team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper submission deadline: 31st July, 2019
- Paper acceptance notification: 20th August, 2019
- Papers ready for publication deadline: 15th September, 2019
- Conference dates: 20th – 22nd November, 2019
For more information, please contact:
- Chair of the Conference: Dr. Tom Oluoch, email@example.com
- Chair of the local organizing committee: Kagiso Ndlovu, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chair of the Scientific Committee: Prof. Nicky Mostert, email@example.com