HELINA 2011 Conference Information:
- Venue: Aurelia Palace Yaoundé, Cameroon
Theme: “Health Information Systems: Scaling up solutions to transform healthcare delivery in Africa”
HELINA arose out of the first International Working Conference on Health Informatics in Africa, HELINA 1993, held in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, organized by OAU-NG and UEF-FI under the auspice of IMIA. In the closing session of HELINA 93, it was proposed that this successful conference should be periodically organized and along the lines of HELINA 93. HELINA 96 was held in South-Africa, HELINA 99 in Zimbabwe, HELINA 2007 in Mali, and HELINA 2009 in Côte d’Ivoire.
In the closing session of HELINA 2007, it was proposed that HELINA conferences should be held every two years to showcase health informatics and its related works in Africa. HELINA attracts experts in health informatics and ehealth, health workers, researchers, computer scientists, information system developers, programmers, policy makers and informatics advocates from different parts of the world.
HELINA 2011 Conference
The seventh Health Informatics in Africa Conference – HELINA 2011 Conference planned to take place in Yaoundé Cameroon from the 28th to the 30th of November 2011 will be hosted by the Cameroonian Health Informatics Society (CAHIS). CAHIS is the national platform for health informatics activities in Cameroon with membership drawn from corporate bodies, professionals and researchers involved in Health and Medical Informatics in Cameroon from within and outside the country. The organization is a member of the International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA) and the Pan African Health Informatics in Africa Association (HELINA).
The theme of the conference is:
“Health Information Systems: Scaling up solutions to transform healthcare delivery in Africa”
The objectives include:
- To promote the development of an eHealth strategy for Africa and eHealth policies in African countries
- To foster the creation of networks between African Countries as well as eHealth initiatives in Africa
- To establish best practices guidelines for the implementation of Health Informatics applications in Africa
- To foster the development of Health Informatics research and education in Africa
Specific themes of the conference include:
- Health Informatics and the private sector (collaboration, economic perspectives, case studies, etc.)
- Health Informatics research and implementation
- Health Informatics design and education
- Health Informatics in the Public Sector (policy, universal health coverage, finance, health insurance, case studies, etc.)
- Keynote conferences, paper and poster presentation, and panels with international participation
- Meet the experts’ sessions
- Brainstorming sessions
Healthcare Professionals (Physicians, Nurses, Midwifes, Lab specialist and technicians, Managers, Clerks), interested in health care technology
ICT, Telecommunications and Microelectronic professionals dedicated to develop applications for health care.
Decision makers, government officials, industry leaders, eHealth organizations
Researchers in health management, public health, biomedical/health informatics, and professionals interested in ICT applications for health care
Medicine, computer sciences, and informatics students.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Website opens: June 15, 2011
Deadline for abstracts and papers submission:15 October 2011
Scholarship Deadline: 30 September 2011 (closed!)
Online Registration Opens: 1 August 2011
Abstract dispositions emailed: 23 October 2011
Scholarship dispositions emailed: 23 October 2011
Finalization of Programs including Speakers: November 11, 2011
Printing of Conference Documents/Proceedings: November 05, 2011